Sunday, November 20, 2005

Second Skijor

Today I took another of my experienced leaders out skijoring. Luna is one of my best command leaders, and she is the same age as Fresca - eight years old. Unlike Fresca, she took to skijoring right off. She pulled way harder than Fresca, making me glad that I got my ski legs under me yesterday with Fresca first. The trail goes straight west from my house and crosses an open field for perhaps a mile. Where it enters the trees, there is a choice of turning right for the Sawtelle trail or turning left for the Stamp Meadows trail. Yesterday I turned right with Fresca, so today I turned left with Luna. The Stamp Meadows trail is a road in the summer whereas the Sawtelle trail is a narrower ATV trail.

With my mediocre skiing skills, I was sure glad that the Stamp Meadows trail was smoother and less rutted than the Sawtelle trail because Luna was not going to ease off for anything. I did have to do one controlled fall today when Luna got confused at an intersection and wrapped the line around behind me. There was no stopping her, and so I figured laying down was safer than an uncontrolled crash with the skis going every which way. Unfortunately, the trail was hard packed and icy at that point, so I bruised up my thigh where I landed. Better than a sprained ankle, though.

All in all, I felt lucky to arrive back home (relatively) uninjured, but it really was a lot of fun. It would have been safer if I had gone out in the heat of the day when the snow is soft and slow instead of near twilight when it is turning hard packed and icy. Well, that is something to remember tomorrow since the days are predicted to stay warm and sunny all week, but we are down in the teens every night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home