Friday, May 26, 2006

Planting 'Em

Not everything that gets planted is a plant. Now that I am home and the ground is thawed, I must face the unfortunate task of burying the puppies who died of parvo. They have been residing in a freezer waiting for spring.

My intention was to plant a tree or shrub for each pup, and my new seedlings arrived this week. The tree I chose to plant by each burial plot was the Native Mountain Ash (Sorbus scopulina). This tree produces colorful orange berries that are eaten by robins and other birds. I wanted something attractive to robins to commemorate my puppy Robin. Smoke, Kindling, and Spark also got a mountain ash each, but I do not intend to ever turn their trees into firewood, so they will have to be content with attracting birds instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home