Monday, January 12, 2009

Warm Heads

Every summer they hold something called the Mountain Man Rendezvous in West Yellowstone. They have events like tomahawk throwing, archery, etc. I have not been to see any of these events, but they also feature vendors with all sorts of folksy mountain man stuff like knives, guns, beaded stuff, jewelry, and lots of furs and leather products. It is not that I am so fascinated by this sort of "nostalgia" (I am, but only moderately so), but rather that I am interested in the practical aspects of stuff that can help me in my chosen sport where I am forced to be outside in the intense cold. Forced, I say, though some would dispute that ... but I digress. Suffice it to say that I squandered, er I mean invested, some of my precious savings in buying a couple fur hats. One was for my husband who I knew coveted a buffalo hat to go with the buffalo overmitts he had bought the year before. Here he is in his facial debut in this blog - my husband Mike Kane.

I made him smile for the photo. Here is how he really looks:
I also got a beaver hat for myself to go with the beaver overmitts I got the year before.

I wore those beaver mitts at 45 below in the Canadian Challenge last year, and I was still cold, but I know I would have been a lot warmer with a beaver hat over my dog hair hat.

In retrospect, the photos would be a lot better if we had stood outside with the snow as a backdrop. Go out in the cold and the wind just for a photo? Not likely!

1 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Selwa said...

Nice Hats Janet! Nice smiles too. Tell Mike I like his smile better than the non-smile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home