Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Eve

This being practically Christmas, I was in a relaxed mood in the morning, so I did not get chores and important stuff like breakfast done soon enough to run two teams of dogs, so I only ran one team over the 20 mile Stamp Meadow trail. I had Ghost and Luna in lead, and they made short work of crossing the open irrigation ditch. Ghost loves water crossings. He tends to get hot and enjoys splashing through the water. There was also a water crossing at the far end of Stamp Meadow road, and even though there was a bypass over a snow bridge, Ghost insisted on sticking to the main trail that went through the water. The water was shallow, so I did not really get my feet wet, but the sharp dip down into the creek and then steeply up the far bank threatened to toss me right off the runners.

I was very pleased with the speed and enthusiasm of the dogs. I am behind in mileage from what most people would be doing by this time of the year, but since the dogs are covering the distance at about 12 mph, they are well prepared for doing longer miles next month.


This picture was taken in my backyard, looking west toward Sawtelle Mountain. This is the mountain that I see as I go out the trail across the fields.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home