Friday, December 02, 2005

Deep Snow

It snowed a significant amount overnight. I went out to do the morning chores, and Holy Cow, the snow is deep! I could not get the gates open. Had to dig and kick at the snow to get them open enough to get in to feed the dogs. In fact, I had to do the chores on snowshoes because it would have been way too much work to get around the dogyard without them. The wind is blowing like gangbusters, and everything drifts over in jig time. When I got done feeding, there was no trace of my path back to the house. The temperature stayed very warm all night and all day, so this is a dense, heavy snow.

Later in the afternoon, as I was digging out all the gates again, I discovered that a couple of the doghouses were completely buried. It was easy enough to pull them out and set them on top of the snow, but poor Ghost, who uses his house constantly, was shivering and looking miserable. And no wonder ... his house had not only been buried, but the inside had completely filled up with snow. Poor guy.

I snowshoed out to the trail and packed the various paths in the yard, but I don't know what good it will do since the wind continues to drift things over, and the snow continues to fall. I did not run today. I was too worn out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home