Monday, June 26, 2006

War On Thistles

I have declared war on the Canada Thistle! This is a noxious weed which is highly invasive, spreading not only by seed but also by far-spreading roots, giving rise to the alternate name of Creeping Thistle. Last year, being a new property owner, I did not know I had it until it grew up and went to seed. It has the most uninspiring blossom of any thistle I have seen, and the leaves are the prickliest of any.

This year I am attacking it with a hoe wherever I find it. My goal is to prevent it from growing up to seed and to reduce the energy being fed to the roots by all the green foliage. It is easy enough to spot the plants in the gravelly area around the well ...

... but much more difficult where it has spread into the grass and wildflowers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home