Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Training Runs

Today was a beautiful, sunny day with almost no wind. I took one team out for a 15 mile run, and they did it in 1 hr, 20 min. That was faster than our average times from last year, so I was pretty excited. I should mention that my husband measured this run at 17 miles with his snowmobile, but that included some backtracking to find the trail, so I estimate it at 15 miles.

I took a second team out for a 20 mile run, and they did it in 1 hr, 38 min. That was also faster than our usual time, so this was just one of those great days to be training dogs. The 20 mile trail is a lot easier than the 15 mile trail, so the average speed is always faster even though the distance is longer.

The county started their grooming program last weekend, so the 20 mile trail (Stamp Meadows Road) is nicely groomed although they have not gotten around to grooming my 15 mile trail (Sawtelle Trail) yet. Snowmobile traffic is starting to pick up, so all the trails have been travelled and packed somewhat.

While I have a number of good leaders and some great youngsters in training, I am very sad not to have Fresca to lead me this year. Here is a picture of the two of us last winter.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger SusanE said...

I'm pea green with envy. I'm told that when I get back home tomorrow I will find very little snow. aargh.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Janet Whitesell said...

Oh, that's a shame. Living up north but not having snow would be such an aggravation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home