Friday, March 16, 2007

Digging Out Doghouses

I thought you might like to see what it takes to dig out the doghouses. First I make a series of jabs in the snow to try to locate the house.





Aha, I have hit something, and I uncover a bit of blue!




After digging all around it, I use a sledgehammer on the back rim to knock it loose from its icy grave.




I then try to loosen it in the hole without any further digging.

Finally, it gets pulled up on top where it can be used by the waiting dog. Thank heavens for lightweight plastic.

3 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger SusanE said...

My god, that's amazing.

Looking at the pictures makes me wish I was 10 years old and outside playing in the snow again.

Fun for a kid, but I'm sure that it wasn't so much fun digging out all the dog houses.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! So no dog ever gets buried in one? What do they do while the snow is busy accumulating?

Betty

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Janet Whitesell said...

I have never found a dog buried in one, but it could be that they get buried and then dig themselves out. I suspect they have an instinct for when to get out, though. The wind swirls the snow around and in through the opening, and I expect they don't like that, so they exit their houses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home