Monday, September 19, 2005

Transplanting Trees

I would like to plant more trees on my property, both for scenic value and to provide protection from the sun and wind. I found two tiny pine trees that were growing too close to our largest aspen, so I began by transplanting them to a position on the southwestern edge of the kennel, just outside the fence. This seemed like a good place to provide shade in the summer and a windbreak in the winter. Later, I found three more little pine trees that were growing too close to the bigger pines. Mike helped me dig two of them up, and we transplanted them next to the first two trees. Today I dug up the last and largest of the little trees and put it at the end of the row. The five newly transplanted trees range from one foot to three feet in height. I have been watering them every day and removing some of the nearby sagebrush to give them plenty of room.

It takes a long time for trees to grow in this climate, but I look forward to seeing the trees grow from year to year. I will also be acquiring more trees. I have gotten a permit which allows me to harvest four trees from the Targhee National Forest. The maximum height allowed is six feet, but the odds for successfully transplanting are better with smaller trees. I will be harvesting evergreens and will probably plant them near the highway to make a nice border for my property.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home